Wednesday, June 22, 2011

madison thrifting adventures

As I mentioned in a previous post, I did some serious thrifting while I was back in the Madison area. My family lives in Sun Prairie, which is only a 5-minute drive from the east side. I hit the Goodwill, Savers, Salvation Army, and HospiceCare Thrift Store with my friend Bill last Tuesday. I discovered that Bill, who I've known since high school, is an avid thrifter. This is huge: I found someone who doesn't think I'm crazy or brave or lowering my standards or some other bizarre judgment for treasuring old things that have had previous lives of love and use. Someone who just understood, and enjoyed the hunt as I do. It was really enjoyable to not feel like I was dragging someone along with me against their will (ahem.... Neil).

I also did some thrifting on the west side of Madison with my mom. She was able to hit her crafty stores and I was able to stop by the Odana Antique Mall, the Salvation Army, and another Goodwill.

framed 1890 magazine art: $29, Odana Antique Mall
yellow chair: $10, Savers


























Nancy Drew: two from Half Price Books ($3 apiece), one from Salvation Army ($2)
Golden books: 50ish cents apiece, Savers
Gardening/miscellaneous books: 50ish cents apiece, Salvation Army

these vintage sheets are even pretty crumpled up straight from the dryer

As you can probably intuit from these photos, I started a new collection:VINTAGE SHEETS! I'm kind of ecstatic...

I've seen plenty of bloggers posting photos of their gorgeous, soft, dreamy-looking patchwork quilts created from pretty vintage sheets, so when I kept spotting the same sheets for $1.99-2.99 at the thrift stores, I was inspired to take action. I'm sure the last thing I need is a new collection (other collections include buttons, handkerchiefs, old quilts...and I'm adding things all the time) but I couldn't resist: I love eclectic, unmatchy, easy patchwork quilts above all else. Oh, and floral print. Did I mention that I go wild for floral print?!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...