Wednesday, June 8, 2011

orphaned books


Today during a quick jaunt to one of the academic buildings on campus, I found free books orphaned on the shelves of the English, Women's Studies, and Political Science departments. The books shown above are the picks from the English department - the colors are very pretty, muted coral, aquamarine, brown and teal. The third book down, The Little Book of Society Verse, was published in 1922 and has a real leather cover; while the spine has seen better days, the front is buttery smooth in a way I've never felt books to be. Beyond the English dept. books, I also took a few dated books from the Political Science department about women and the law: yes.

Today I was also bestowed the gift of several library-related books and magazines from Galadriel, a UW-L librarian who is leaving for a new job in Connecticut. Sooo I adopted a lot of books today, books that are now in precarious stacks on my bedroom floor.

Eh, I'm a bit of a hoarder. I've already been accused by a former professor of being a book hoarder... and he would know. Whenever I bring new orphans home, Neil cocks an eyebrow and says, "You know how heavy boxes of books are, right?" I just smile serenely in his direction - we both know I won't be the one carrying them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...